Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Iron Works Alt

Iron Works Alt
Altbier
Metropolitan Brewing, Chicago

    12 oz poured into a pint glass. Thanks AgentZero. Pours deep and clear copper with only a small-medium head in spite of a regular pour. The head retention is alright in that the bubbles manage to stay on the surface and lace the glass as it gets emptier.

    A very strong malt aroma without the sweetness: quite rare in most beers that I have had. Smells like the inside of a homebrew shop. Very biscuity, and dry. A wee bit of fruitiness at the end. Crisp and biting with a slightly sweet taste profile balanced by light bitterness. The finish is way too sweet for a beer that tastes otherwise clean.

    More lager-y feel than an "old-style" beer but it seems to be the norm for Alts. The body is light and the carbonation very high. Overall nothing too impressive going on here... tastes like lagered Fat Tire.

Disclaimer: This is my second Alt ever and the first one was aged in barrels, so I don't know anything about Alts from direct experience.

3, 3, 3, 4, 3

2 comments:

  1. I think I should give it a try!
    Thanks for sharing, I enjoyed the visit. :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you liked the post... this was my first altbier ever so I might be way off the mark in my ratings!

    ReplyDelete