Monday, April 18, 2011

Reserva

    11.2 oz. bottle, vintage 2008, received as an extra from lurchingbeast. Thanks Frank! Poured into a 25 oz. snifter. Pours clear and dark candy brown with a light brown head. Excellent head retention and medium lacing.

    This is the first non-trappist quad that comes close to the best trappist examples. In case you're wondering, yes, I have had St. Bernardus Abt 12 and no, I don't think it's practically Westvleteren 12. The aroma is mind blowing and delights me more than my favorite Rochefort 10 in terms of it's delicious strength without the alcohol bite. The aroma is very very country... fresh dessert with some spice, dried fruit, butterscotch-vanilla, and comfort. The real bite of spices and alcohol is felt upon more keen investigation, but alcohol hardly interferes. 3 years of age might have to do with taming it though.

    The palate is loaded with dried fruit, chocolate and spice. Whatever oak materializes, it does in the finish. Long and tannic, it's the aroma & parts of the finish more than the taste itself that won me over. I think that the taste is too bitter and aftertaste too sweet; I'd prefer drier and cleaner. The mouthfeel is silky and luxurious but the overly sweet finish spoils a few things in my opinion. Although I don't know if there is any scope of improvement.

    Many beers that call themselves Quadrupels are obscene jokes, really, when compared to  the class of Quads this one belongs to. A tremendous ale, and one of the more surprising ones. Still, not worthy of the $10+ tag it commands given that Rochefort 10 and 8 are easily & relatively cheaply available. But as a beer, this is excellent!

Scores: Appearance 4.5/5; Aroma 4.5/5; Taste 4.5/5; Mouthfeel 4/5; Overall 4/5

No comments:

Post a Comment