Thursday, August 9, 2012

Jason's tasting

Samuel Adams UTOPIAS!

Thanks Josh (Sender) for sharing this great beer.

Pours still, looks deep. A rich copper brown hue. Legs are seen upon swirling. Smells amazing, although it's well into the liqueur/liquor territory: dark fruit, figs, dates. Nothing uncommon, but very bold and yet smooth.

Drinks flavorful and sweet but exceptionally clean at the end. Sherry is the best adjective I can use to describe it. Doesn't have the same burn as Macallan but damn, it comes close in taste. Of course it is much sweeter.

A great beer and very glad to have tried it.
4.5, 4.5, 4.5, 4.5, 4.5

Cantillon Kriek 100% Lambic

Shared by dougofthefuture. Thanks!

Cork bears 2009.

Deep pink-violet colored with a light pink head. Strong funk and soft cherries in the aroma. Tastes puckering sour and clean, but with hints of vinegar. Notes of oak as well. The fruit is not as intense as the color led me to believe. Clean, dry and effervescent feel.
4, 4, 4, 5, 4

Founders Blushing Monk

Shared by Yulles, thanks!

Very deep and viscous pink with a dark pink head. Lots of sweetness and intense raspberries in the aroma. The raspberries, however, are getting tame with time as evidenced in the taste, but the sweetness is going strong. This beer is also very thick and rather low in carbonation which is why it is rather tough to drink at the moment.

It is my opinion that with time the malts will shine more making it a delightful brew, especially because I am fan of malty beers and raspberries, both. And although I remarked that it is rather syrupy and tough to drink at the moment, it still drinks very easy for its body and ABV.
4, 4, 4, 4, 3.5

FFF Live A Rich Life

Another beer shared by dougofthefuture, thanks!

Cloudy amber with a nice white head. Aroma is hops first but there is a certain perfum-y-ness which is perhaps the Belgian contribution. Tastes better than it smells... very very citrus; lots of rind. Good balance of flavor and bitterness. Medium body but still crisp, especially considering the ABV. Glad to have had it.
4, 3, 4, 4, 4

FFF Baller Stout

Thanks Dan and Frank!

Excellent stout looks, dark and thick with a good dark tan head. Aroma is sweet malts, some vanilla (nowhere close to a -bal beer though) and roast. I don't get much coffee.

Tastes rough and aggressive... the smoothness of the component beers is missing, and I like Dark Lord :-/

Mouthfeel is good, rich body and medium carbonation. To echo what others have said, this beers is less stellar than its components:

|x1 + x2| ≤ |x1| + |x2|
4.5, 3, 3.5, 4, 3.5

Westbrook Mexican Cake

Thanks dc55110 for this rarish tick, thought I will never get to try it but I got lucky.

Looks the part, black and thick. Hints of spice and chocolate... the spice is obscure to my palate though and I wouldn't know about the pepper part if I didn't know. I don't feel any heat :-/

Slight stout tartness that puts me off in almost every stout I drink, but there's a good presence of roast. Medium body, full carbonation. It's certainly a well made, above average imperial stout. However, I don't get the hype behind this one. Or I just had my hate on this particular evening.
4, 3.5, 3.5, 3.5, 3.5

I guess I did have my hate on. Had it again and liked it a lot! This is a 4+ beer; disregard the scores.

No comments:

Post a Comment