Thursday, February 3, 2011

Mirror Mirror

Mirror Mirror
Deschutes Brewery
English Barleywine (my opinion)
11% ABV
30 IBUs
OG?

22 oz "bomber" with a best after date of 04/20/10 poured into a snifter on 02/03/11. Was thinking of holding on to it longer but infection talk around this one had me wanting to get the most outta the $12.99+tax that I spent on this one. Having had it I say it was money well spent!

    Deep, glowing, reddish-copper colored with good clarity, Mirror Mirror poured with a big light tan head that had surprisingly good retention and lacing. The head never really went away although it shrunk into rather bubbly clusters. Amidst all the news of infection, I am wondering if this could be a borderline case with all that nice bubbles on it. Regardless, the looks are perfect. Oh, and did I mention that the label is one of the classiest?! I mean, even that torn edge on the left top corner adds class, no?


    Admittedly, I was fishing for funk in the aroma, of which I didn't get any. A relief. What I got were strong notes of dark fruit and brandy. Soft oak, lots of toffee, massive caramel, and some alcohol that gets sharper with warmth. Plenty of sweetness too. I can't say why is it classified as an American Barleywine because to me it smells like a solid English Barleywine, and Deschutes too lists pretty low IBUs on this one (merely 30; compare that against 90 IBUs on Bigfoot).
    Dried fruit's peel is a pretty good adjective for taste - sweet and rich with appropriate bitterness. Raisins, figs, and wood dominate. Very well integrated ale with no booziness that sometimes affects barrel aged beers. Decent bitterness keeps everything in check towards a medium finish and slightly bitter aftertaste with nice and sticky sweetness on the lips.
    While it seems a tad thin at times, considering it's been conditioning and attenuating for sometime now, it's just fine. Some tannic notes are felt that might be lent by oak - good, and cleansing, and never harsh. Very easy and nice drinking ale for its magnitude and in general. It would suck to have missed its glory because of infection issues. I can't say what age could do to it but because Deschutes has acknowledged infection, I suggest, drink it now!

Socre: Appearance 5, Aroma 4, Taste 4, Mouthfeel 4.5, Drinkability 4.5

No comments:

Post a Comment