Sunday, December 11, 2011

Chocolate Abbey

Chocolate Abbey
New Glarus Brewing Company
Chocolate Dubbel

    12 oz poured into a Chimay chalice. Dark brown and clear, with a light khaki colored creamy head. Perhaps it was the rather vigorous pour but I haven't seen this good head retention with this glass. The aroma is pretty much creamy hot chocolate, with nothing else showing. Taste is more beer like, with the base malt and subtle hops registering their presence, and only hints of chocolate in the aftertaste.

    Only the looks and the mouthfeel of this beer resembled a dubbel at first. I did not get any esters or phenols whatsoever in the aroma or the taste and the beer tasted very clean. With some more sipping I find myself divided about the source of the bitterness: hops? Or phenols?

    Overall it's an enjoyable beer. Not the kind I would drink by the case but certainly I could drink a 4-pack of in an year. My friends who had it liked it too.

4.5, 3.5, 4, 4.5, 4

No comments:

Post a Comment