Sunday, November 20, 2011

St. Louis Framboise

Bottled May 05, 2010. 12.7 oz bottle poured into a Sam Adams perfect pint.

    Framboise pours a deep red-brown color with a light pink head with very good retention and lacing. The aroma of raspberry preserves was noticeable even while pouring, so the strong raspberry sweetness in the aroma is hardly a surprise.

    I am drinking this right after their Gueuze and I find it surprising that the base beer is completely dominated by raspberries... well, not technically the base beer but say the beers that started the same at different points in time? All I detect beneath the raspberries is a strange, chalky note.

    The taste is way too sweet in an odd way, and that's when the sweetness should come as a pleasant change :/ I think it's sweeter than real raspberries, BUT the acidity is strong too. Anyway, I was curious and some googling yielded:
"This brew is made with fresh raspberry juice which is matured and blended with gueuze-lambic to produce a dry, sweet aperitif."
    Yeah, this is way too sweet for the real fruit. I suppose this travesty is done to enhance the popular appeal, but to repeat myself once more, this is just too sweet!

    The carbonation is ok but struggles to clean the sweetness off the palate. Eh, I am so disappointed, I don't even bother at this point.

4.5, 3, 2, 3, 2

No comments:

Post a Comment