Saturday, November 19, 2011

St. Louis Gueuze Fond Tradition

Bottled Jan 20, 2010. 12.7 oz bottle poured into a Sam Adams perfect pint.

    This "ale" looked very clear in the bottle and poured a bright hay color with an off-white head made up of fine bubbles. I was almost certain that it was filtered given the clarity but it says unfiltered right on the bottle... after pouring I looked inside the bottle and there was a compact layer of settled yeast/stuff. Good news. Good head retention and lacing too.

    Funk, hay, spice and some softness in the aroma. Tastes quite sour and pleasantly so having spent some time conditioning in the bottle. Hay/earth and lemon rule the taste, with little funk making it to the palate. Generously carbonated and very very dry, but somehow not abrasive, yet. Just a bit of bitterness at the back, much like fruit peel.

    I have had the pleasure of sampling a few highly regarded and sought after Gueuze thanks to the fine folks I have met on BeerAdvocate. I suppose what separates, say Lente, from this one, is the intensity of the flavors layered on the sour.

    Regardless, very much of what I expected: tart, dry, reasonably if not immensely complex and all for a very decent price (6.99+tax), not to mention the easy availability. I am happy that I had this, and I will drink it again!

4, 3.5, 3, 4.5, 4

No comments:

Post a Comment