Friday, July 30, 2010

Founders Nemesis 2009

The basics

Nemesis 2009
Founders Brewing Co.
Maple bourbon barrel aged wheat wine
ABV?
OG?
IBUs?
Very unlike Founders; their only beer with ABV & IBUs information missing!
12 oz. bottle poured into Bell's tulip

Appearance 5/5

Clear and deep; orange-amber; some sediment; off white head that receded fast; there was a promise of lace which was little, but consistent. What I would expect from a non-Belgian high abv beer.

Aroma & Taste 4/5

No discernible hop aroma; smells sweet, of malts and bourbon. I know this is a wheat beer, but I guess I have no idea how wheat would smell, or the bourbon outshines it. As the beer warmed, maple was noticeable.

Bitter in finish. Booze. A sipper. Fruitiness comes forward as the beer warms up. And maple. Very attenuated, after being aged for almost an year (from what I hear, Founders brewed it sometime in mid-2009 but held the release back until Feb 2010 so that the beer could age) This is a complex beer; while I don't get any overpowering (bourbon included) flavors, I know my palette is shot for a while. If I didn't know what it was, I'd call it a strong ale.


Mouthfeel 5/5

Medium carbonation. Firmly bitter finish; dry, but left a bittersweet aftertaste. 

Drinkability 5/5

Drink it for what it is.



3 comments:

  1. Founders beer in a Bell's tulip. You must be from Michigan!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Minnesota actually; but I am a fan of MI beers in general and Founders and Bell's are my favorite breweries, nationwide :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. chape ho!!!!! ab tumhari daru se hi suruat ki jayegi....done!!!!-

    ReplyDelete